Friday, July 22, 2011

I really wish I had started telling you about my current adventure sooner. I have been on the road with my dog and two children for nearly three weeks. I packed up in New Hampshire and began a month long journey along the east coast...NH to South Florida. The furthest we have gotten is Hialeah, Florida, my birthplace. While it felt like being in another country at times, it was incredible how much I things can change...and still remain the same. My love for the hispanic culture is unchanged, my memories remain a constant and I hope I instill the love of a multicultural society is passed on to my children.

A little bit about our trip: Our first day of travel was filled with about three hours of traffic in Philadelphia, Delaware and of course Maryland. We sat about 9 miles from our destination and it took more than an hour to get there! My kids were great as they were plugged into their new Nintendo DS from Amazon. My younger child is not yet reading, yet amazed me how well he can operate his handheld DS lite. The reading 1st grader found her DSi's photo and video options a feature she cannot live without!

We made our was to DC in about 14 hours. Luckily we had no real time frame to complete our travels in and ended up staying in DC with a friend for three nights. During the afternoon of our second day, we headed out to the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum. Check our photos in my gallery.

A couple of things I love about DC: Free stuff! Did you know all of the "National" museums are free? Parking might be an issue, so go early or go after lunch when the buses clear out and people are heading off to lunch. Bring some snacks in a cooler you can leave in the car and have a picnic on the mall under the trees. Even if it is hot, you can still beat the heat! Leave the cooler in the car? I know, but you will not be able to bring it inside the musuems with you due to security regulations.

That's all I have for now, I promise to share some photos of the second leg of our journey....soon!