Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Decision Making

Are you one of those people who thinks on your feet? Likes the excitement of coming up with an idea on the fly and going for it?

I am. I am proud of it too.

As a high school teacher you have got to be. All of those faces staring at you while you fumble for a word to conclude your lecture...or the kid making a scene in the back and figuring out how to handle it without losing your cool. Characteristics of a teacher.

National Teacher Appreciation day is today. A glorious day indeed as it reminds me that while I may not have all the answers to all the problems in the world, I can use the tools God gave me to do some good in the world. I no longer work in a traditional brick and mortar classroom, I am a "virtual" teacher.

I am part of a growing population of teachers who have become part of the pyramid of learning: student, teacher, parent. The three of us are a team and can conquer any task together. I am a better listener, teacher and all around person because now I truly know my students and how and why they do what they do in the classroom.