Thursday, May 19, 2011

Teachers Looking for Jobs

It is in the news in nearly every state in America: Teachers not being given contracts for the new school year. Scary times when our districts have to cut positions and not ask our much needed teachers back fulltime for the following school year. I was lucky enough to be asked back each year in my former brick and mortar school district. I was also lucky enough to request a child rearing leave for the school year. When my year was up, I decided not to return full time. The high school never filled my position.

It just so happens that I was lucky, fortunate, and smart enough to think ahead. I created a vision board of sorts and believed that I would one day be a work from home mom where I actually earned a real income and no longer needed full time day care. I have managed to do just that with my current teaching gig. I am 100% a telecommuter, virtual, online high school Science teacher. Lucky me!

If you are interested in the virtual field of education, I highly recommend starting with the basics: How to Succeed as an Online Facilitator
I read this article back when I first considered teaching online, before the birth of my first child six years ago. It offers valuable insight when considering the change from brick and mortar to online.

No comments: