Sunday, January 15, 2012

Crossing Over

In meiosis, crossing over is when the exchange of genetic material takes place. A little from each parent chromosome is given to the new offspring...creating an entire new set of genes...supporting the idea that life goes on.

Taking a chance on road conditions, I headed for North Conway and I crossed over the Kancamangus highway today. The road was slippery, but manageable. The trees white and their branches heavy from recent snowfall. I parked at one of my favorite overlooks that happened to be plowed enough to pull in...music too loud for company, camera in hand, I had a minute alone with my past life...the single, adventurous, not a care in the world life...and all of a sudden I was overcome with a combination of excitement, pride, joy.

I could feel my past life...(the one I created before I was married) looking at my life now...and I could actually feel as if that life, that single life was proud of the life that is in front of me. I have made mistakes, I will make more. I have loved, I have lost, I will love again...I have no regrets.

It is funny how this crossing over the Kanc parallels where I am today. At times the road to my destination is steep, seemingly unmanageable...but still, in all of it, I manage to find the power to realign to the center.